Women who undergo tubal ligation surgery consider this as a permanent form of sterilization. However, the high success rate of tubal reversal surgery has now made it clear that tubal ligation can be reversed in most cases. Check out here to know more about Tubal Ligation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubal_ligation. Not everyone who was sterilized will be able to successfully conceive post tubal reversal surgery. According to present stats, approximately 70% women will be able to become pregnant within a year after TR surgery has been performed.
Typically success can also be achieved within 6 months post tubal reversal. Nevertheless, it is important to understand the criteria that contribute towards the success of tubal reversal surgery. Listed below are the essential points:
1. The age of the patient: Generally success rates of tubal ligation reversal surgery get increased if the patient is young. Older women particularly those over 40 will naturally have fewer chances of achieving success. Check out more about tubal ligation reversal here: http://www.thibodauxgynob.com/tubal-reversal-surgery/
2. Type of Tubal Ligation: Several methods may be incorporated during tubal ligation procedure. The middle portion of the fallopian tube is separated by cutting, burning, cauterizing or placing clamps and rings. Each of these procedures inflicts some damage to the fallopian tubes. If the damages are irreversible tubal reversal surgery cannot be performed. Thus, the patient has to seek other alternative i.e. IVF.
3. Length of the healthy tube: The fallopian tubes are generally 12cms in length. Expert tubal reversal surgeons believe at least 7cm or more of healthy fallopian tubes can yield excellent results.
4. Sperm quality: The male partner may also be required to undergo a semen analysis. This is particularly important for those who have never initiated pregnancies. There are factors like sperm motility, abnormal sperm shape and sizes that can make a male infertile and thus incompetent to help the woman to become pregnant.
5. Any other surgery: If the patient had undergone any other abdominal surgery it can become a hurdle in achieving success post tubal reversal surgery.
6. Gynecological problems: The woman may have an existing gynecological disorder like fibroids or polyps. Additionally those who are over 35 may not have the best ovarian reserve. These disorders are needed to be corrected before tubal reversal surgery can be conducted.
Check out this Tubal reversal success story:
The experienced tubal reversal surgeon will ensure couples undergo the necessary examinations before preparing for tubal reversal surgery. Tests may include complete blood count, ultrasound, and FSH test and semen analysis for the male partner. As you can see the success after a tubal reversal depends on a lot of factors.